Saturday, June 21, 2008

E.E.E. Plan (Everything Out, Essentials In, Extras Gone)


The summer heat has set in, hot afternoons seem to last forever, and the undone "to do"list may already very long for this summer. But even as outstanding projects are approached, vacations are taken, and holidays are handled, I also want to get my personal life and home in order again. I want to live "leaner"and "nicer"without the encumbrance of over abundance that constantly threatens peace and perspective. So I have a new plan. As my daily schedule allows, I am going to go through all the rooms in my house and employ the E.E.E. plan for each and every drawer, shelf, nook, and cranny.

The E.E.E. plan provides for minimizing and allows our family to work at this project even as we abundantly share what is not really needed. The three steps include:

- E1) Everything out (of the particular closet, cupboard, or drawer I am working on),

- E2) Essentials back in (this same closet, cupboard, or drawer with a goal of keeping just half or approximately 50%), and

- E3) Extras gone (from my life).

So first I am going to make up a simple chart listing the rooms in our home. This will give me a written plan for this project. I am going to be doing this for a few months and with a chart of my E.E.E. plan and a bit of time each day/week to purge, I can still keep up with my other responsibilities and feel so much better about myself and my life. When I come to another family member’s possessions, I will share the project with them, teaching concepts and encouraging sharing.

I’m going to start at the back door and work around the house room by room, using this personalized chart to list the shelves, drawers and closets that need attention. Then I can check off my progress as I work through the E.E.E. plan. A partially completed chart might look like this:


For instance, I have a laundry room next to my back door with four areas of storage, so my E.E.E. chart for the laundry room will have four boxes to check off next to the four listings. The half bath has one cupboard under the sink with two shelves, a vanity, and some drawers so that room will have three listings and three boxes to check off. The kitchen will need six listings and check boxes. This written plan will make it much easier to tackle a huge project.

Three concepts will make everything easier when I am purging.


Enough is enough already.

It is obvious to anyone visiting that I have too much stuff. It is also apparent I like to keep all these possessions. I have spent money, time, and energy purchasing, gathering, bargaining, and otherwise working to "own". But now it is time to "share". I will keep half of everything, yes the better half, but still only half. For instance, when it is time to address the adorable, but crowded, Disney trinket shelf, I will choose only the very best half to keep. The rest I will share.


Liberation comes with less.

If half of everything I own is eliminated, than the other half will become more precious, more valued, and more used. When I come to the closet, I will take out all the blouses, then the slacks, and finally the shoes, and return only half (the best half, yes) and let the rest go. The gained space will make my home feel larger and my soul less shackled with clutter.


Friends stay, freeloaders go.

Many times I keep things that are useful, but which are no longer needed. They have lost their purpose in my life although they are sound, workable, and sometimes valuable. It is time, especially when I get to the kitchen, to let some of the pans, glass dishes, and cooking utensils find a new home. Freeloaders are no longer allowed. Only friends are welcome.

If this project appeals to you, feel free to download E.E.E. Plan forms for your own use from www.houseoforder.com/downloads.htm. Print up several copies, note the rooms are you are going to clean out, and then walk through your home noting the shelves, drawers, cupboards, and closets that need addressing in each of those rooms. Put your completed forms on a clipboard for ease of retrieval and crossing off of those important check boxes. Schedule just a bit of time each day or maybe a longer period of time each week, and lift the load of too much stuff from your shoulders. It is time!

As you overhaul your life, your home, and your stash, employ this E.E.E. plan. While it will take some time and trouble, it will make for a great summer accomplishment! Together, we will find peace and prosperity as we clean up and clean out!

2 comments:

Dusty said...

We live in AZ so this is a great project when we are 'stuck' in the house due to 115* weather. Thanks for the awesome idea!

Hailey said...

An extra simple way to make a closet look better, after 50% is Gone, is matching white (clean) hangers. Recycle the rest, including the wire ones from the dry cleaner (they will happily take them back).

Purge is a lovely word. :)